Thursday, November 19, 2009

Dried Fuyu Persimmons

With my persimmon tree producing another bounty this year, I decided to make my version of hoshigaki or dried persimmon. My pilot experiment included just a few to see how they'd turn out. I dried some in an oven a 130 degree oven for 3 days. I massaged them a few times during the process as that's part of the artisinal hoshigaki-making process. I also tried drying one by hanging it in my closet. After a few days, it had a beautiful sugar bloom on the outside, but unfortunately also got a little moldy so I threw it away.

I love the flavor of these dried persimmons. I didn't dry mine out completely, so there is a an array of flavors and textures. The outside of the dried persimmon is chewy, sweet and pleasantly leathery while the inside has a firmish-custardy texture, subtly sweet, with a slight cinnamon aroma.

Here are the pictures of my pilot persimmon project:

Persimmons washed and ready for peeling




Perssimmon peeled and arranged in oven



Day 2



Day 2 a little later








A little dryer



 Dry!


 A cross section of one of the finished pieces.
 


References:
http://cesanjoaquin.ucdavis.edu/files/17038.PDF
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/347867

1 comment:

  1. I love persimmons, and your hoshigaki look delicious. Thanks for visiting and commenting on my matcha cookies at 'the edible library'. Your blog is really interesting & I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete