Saturday, January 14, 2012

Com Chay

Com Chay is one of my favorite foods, and I made this a while back and hadn't gotten the chance to post it yet. While I'm on the GAPS diet, I won't be able to enjoy this, and Dr. Shanahan's Deep Nutrition book has convinced me to banish vegetable oil from my diet forever, so from now on when I make this in the future, I will be using chicken fat to crisp the rice and a natural-pressed oil for the onions.

Com chay literally means "burnt rice."


Start with fat in a non stick skillet and heat it:





 Add cooked rice to the skillet. Stir it around a bit so the rice is coated


Cook the rice without disturbing it so that bottom crisps. This takes a while, and you can shake the rice to the side and peek to see how it's doing. You need a lot of fat for this so that nothing sticks, and you want it to be a saturated fat because those are more stable when you heat them.


Keep peeking until the crust develops to the desired amount. The more golden-brown it is, the more delicious.


Meanwhile, in between checking the crust of the rice, slice some green onions:




Mix the green onions with oil, and slightly mash them to release their flavors into the oil.


Add the onion and onion oil to the com chay and serve. Mmmmmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment