Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Salt Preserved Citrus

I came across a bounty of meyer lemons and oranges and decided to preserve some with salt using a Moroccan recipe.  It's fantastic with chicken, tuna salad, and tomato sauce. I also added some to a ratatouille dish I made. My mom also says that there are Vietnamese drinks that use salt-preserved citrus for flavor but I haven't tried that yet.

Preserved Lemon



Preserved Orange

Ingredients:
10 meyer lemons
1/2 cup kosher salt

Directions
1. Quarter the meyer lemons but don't cut all the way through so they remain attached at base.
2. Take a quartered meyer lemon and squeeze its juice into a jar and rub kosher salt into the flesh.
3. Place the salted lemon into the jar with the lemon juice.

4. Repeat with remaining lemons and salt being sure to squish the lemons into the jar so they're packed tightly. Ideally, the jar would have no airspace when you're finished. If airspace remains, fill it up with more lemon juice or try to squeeze in another lemon or two.

5. Let jar sit for a few weeks before using.

For the preserved oranges, I followed the same steps but used oranges instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment